- Thwing-Albert’s Handle-O-Meter (HOM) measures the combined effects of flexibility and surface friction of sheeted materials including nonwovens, tissue, toweling, film and textiles.
- This test method has proven to correlate well with the actual performance of the material in production processes.
- Two interchangeable beams are available a 100 gram beam and a 1000 gram beam available to meet your needs.
Applicable Industry Standards: ASTM D2923, ASTM D6828-02, TAPPI T498, INDA IST 90.3, NWSP 090.3.R0 (15)
The Handle-O-Meter measures “handle” which is the combined effects of flexibility and surface friction of sheeted material such as nonwovens, tissue, toweling, film and textiles. The data generated has been shown to correlate well with the actual performance of the material in production processes and finished product performance. This instrument expedites the evaluation of a product by replacing the use of a sensory panel to measure softness or hand feel which can be subjective and time-consuming.
Measurements are obtained effortlessly. Simply place the test sample over the slot that extends across the instrument platform and hit test. A penetrator beam pivots on a cam engages the sample and forces it into the slot. An LVDT, in conjunction with a torsion bar, measures the resistance encountered by the penetrator blade as it moves into the slot. Stiff materials offer greater resistance to the motion of the beam as it moves into the slot. Rough materials also exert resistance as they are dragged over the edge of the slot. The combined resistance is reported on a touch screen display.
Two interchangeable beams are available which provides versatility for testing different materials. Quickly change between a 100 gram and 1000 gram beam. With auto-ranging, the Handle-O-Meter immediately detects the beam in use and adjusts the range and resolution accordingly. The slot width is also adjustable to accommodate samples of varying thicknesses.
Test modes can be quickly set for single, double or quadruple measurements. The average is automatically calculated for double or quadruple tests.
Advanced software enables the unit to compute and display qualitative analysis of the test results including averaging, standard deviation and the high & low readings of a series of tests.
- Adjustable slot openings: 5, 10, 20 mm and 1/4 in.
- Interchangeable beams, 100 gram & 1000 gram
- Touch Screen Display
- Statistical Analysis
- USB and Serial Port
- Industry Standards:
- ASTM D2923, D6828-02
- TAPPI T498
- NWSP 090.3.R0 (15)
- Teflon Coated Plates Teflon plates are recommended for use with plastic film to reduce static friction.
- MAP4 Software provides unlimited testing capabilities with built-in test methods that can be customized by the end-user. This software allows for extensive data analysis to evaluate materials.
The 211-2005 replaces model 211-2000