The Heavy Duty Tear Tester/Heavy Duty Elmendorf tests fabrics such as canvas, sailcloth and denim . Thwing-Albert's Heavy Duty Tear Tester uses the same software as our standard ProTear® Tear Tester, and this rugged instrument tests up to 25,600 grams.
Applicable industry standards: ASTM D751, D5734
The Heavy Duty Tear Tester (Electronic model) is ideal for measuring the tearing strength of textile material s and is available as an electronic or mechanical model. Extremely durable yet compact, this rugged instrument provides capacities of 6 400, 12,800, and 25,600 grams with the use of augmenting weights.
Update an existing Heavy Duty Elmendorf with an electronics package to quickly enhance the functionality of the unit.
- Quick capacity change with augmenting weights
- Industry Standards:
- ASTM D295, D752, D4247, D1424, D1922,
- TAPPI T414, T496
- BS 4253, 4468
- CPPA D.9
- DIN 53862, 53128
- ISO 1974, 9290, 13937-1
- EN 21974
- SCAN P11
- ASTM D751, D5734, D1424
The operation of the ProTear is easy — simply secure the sample in the two clamps, make an initial tear with the attached blade and release the pendulum. The tearing resistance of the material is measured via the transference of the potential energy stored in the raised pendulum to kinetic energy. A portion of this energy is absorbed during the tearing of the sample and is used as a measure of the materials resistance to a continuing tear. The energy required to tear the sample is reported as a percentage of the pendulum capacity or force.
Fast, Flexible Software
The ProTear's standard menu-driven software provides total control over test parameters and reports test data seconds after test completion.
- Test Results include tear strength, tear per ply, average tear strength and tear index
- Quickly enter sample data — thickness, basis weight, sample ID, sample direction
- Configurable display — test parameters, results and reports
- Obtain results as percent of pendulum capacity, grams, pounds or millinewtons
- Calculated Statistics — average, high, low, standard deviation, range & variance
- Configurable reports
- Provision to delete and restore test results Data Acquisition
An optional data acquisition software program installs quickly and is easily configured with user-friendly drop-down menus. It provides the ability to capture serial data, customize it for specific requirements and then transfer it to other applications such as Excel™ and Access™. Use the capabilities of these applications to create graphs and reports that automatically update with real-time data.