- Thwing-Albert's Handle-O-Meter (HOM) measures the combined effects of flexibility and surface friction of sheeted materials including nonwovens, tissue, toweling, film and textiles.
- This test method has proven to correlate well with the actual performance of the material in production processes.
- Two interchangeable beams are available a 100 gram beam and a 1000 gram beam available to meet your needs.
Applicable Industry Standards: ASTM D2923, ASTM D6828-02, TAPPI T498, INDA IST 90.3, EDANA WSP 90.3
The Handle-O-Meter measures “handle” which is the combined effects of flexibility and surface friction of sheeted material such as nonwovens, tissue, toweling, film and textiles. The data generated has been shown to correlate well with the actual performance of the material in production processes and finished product performance. This instrument expedites the evaluation of a product by replacing the use of a sensory panel to measure softness or hand feel Which can be subjective and time consuming.
Measurements are obtained effortlessly. Simply place the test sample over the slot that extends across the instrument platform and hit test. A penetrator beam pivots on a cam, engages the sample and forces it into the slot. An LVDT, in conjunction with a torsion bar, measures the resistance encountered by the penetrator blade as it moves into the slot. Stiff materials offer greater resistance to the motion of the beam as it moves into the slot. Rough materials also exert resistance as they are dragged over the edge of the slot. The combined resistance is reported on a 2 x 40 character display.
Two interchangeable beams are available which provides versatility for testing different materials. Quickly change between a 100 gram and 1000 gram beam. With auto ranging, the Handle-O-Meter immediately detects the beam in use and adjusts the range and resolution accordingly. The slot width is also adjustable to accommodate samples of varying thicknesses.
Test modes can be quickly set for single, double or quadruple measurements. The average is automatically calculated for double or quadruple tests.
Advanced software enables the unit to compute and display qualitative analysis of the test results including averaging, standard deviation and the high & low readings of a series of tests.
- Adjustable slot openings: 5, 10, 20 mm and 1/4 in.
- Interchangeable beams, 100 gram & 1000 gram
- 2 x 40 LCD display
- Statistical Analysis
- RS-232 Output and Serial Port
- Industry Standards:
- ASTM D2923, D6828-02
- TAPPI T498
- INDA IST 90.3
- Teflon Coated Plates Teflon plates are used primarily with plastic film to reduce static friction.
- Serial Printer A formatted report can be printed on demand, showing test results and a statistical analysis for a group of tests.
- Chart Recorder An electronic strip chart recorder provides another means of recording test results.
|Industry||Medical, Nonwovens, Paper, Plastic Film, Tissue, Textiles|
|Dimensions||368mm(14.5”) D x 587mm(23 1/8”) W x 229mm(9”) H|
|Resolution||1/10th of a gram (100 gram beam) / 1 gram (1,000 gram beam)|
|Measuring range||Standard Unit: 0-100 grams unit|Heavy Duty Unit 0-1000 grams|
|Display||2 x 40 LCD Digital Display|
|Slot Opening||5,10, 20 mm & 1/4 in|
|List of Standards||ASTM D2923, ASTM D6828-02, TAPPI T498, INDA IST 90.3, EDANA WSP 90.3|